Thursday, October 21, 2010

To be like kids again


I am a fairly entertaining sleeper. I average one sleep-walk per week. Emily will usually wake up and find the lamp from the night stand hidden, me yelling at her because I thought she had put dozens of fishing poles in our bed (we don't even own one), multiple pillows stuffed in obscure locations, or random collard shirts on the floor (which was the latest) as I thought there was a business meeting in my family room in the middle of the night. So, when I felt a poking at my arm yesterday morning around 3 a.m. my subconscious usually begins a teasing dialogue with my consciousness such as, "Here you go again...I can't believe you still sleep walk...what's it going to be tonight?" I ignored the poking and shifted my position. I felt the poking again. I turned back and opened my eyes and saw our three year old Halle. "Ok, she has to go pee" I thought. "Do you have to go pee honey?" I asked. "No" she said. "She REALLY has to go if she's in denial" I thought. I checked for signs; rocking back and forth, grabbing of the crotch, and the pee pee dance. None. She cleared. I checked the clock. 3:05 a.m. "She never wakes up in the middle of the night" I thought. "Are you sure you don't have to go pee?" I asked again. "No, I don't need to go pee!" she said as her "early-morning" voice became more stern. "Are you okay? What's going on?" I asked. With a slight hesitation Halle said, "Umm daddy, what do you think will be our first ride we go on at Disneyland?" I was speechless. I couldn't get upset with that. My first thought was, "Is she messing around with me right now?" and "Crap, sleep walking is genetic!" But she was as serious as ever. "Small world for sure doll" I replied. A big grin came to her face. We are planning a Disneyland trip in the next few weeks and I can't believe she could get that excited for it. I picked her up, she laid her head on my shoulder (love that) and took her back to her bedroom. As I put her to bed I did what any parent of a 2 to 5 year-old child would do, I asked, "Are you SURE you don't need to go pee?"
Could you imagine if we were still like that as adults? What if Emily woke up to me poking her at 3:00 a.m. and I said, "Honey, are we going to get chips con queso or chips and salsa at Chilis?" How pure. How innocent. How good.
GM

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Sleep walking, that sounds like it adds all sorts of excitement to your life! Cute Halle.

Elder and Sister Myers said...

I'm going to miss going to Disneyland! Have a wonderful time! I'll catch you there in the spring!

The Myers said...

Reese has been blessing Disneyland and that she can go there, now for months in every prayer she says! She hasn't woke me up in the night YET!

Sarah said...

This was the funniest post EVER! I was reading it to myself-laughing-with Ty in the background trying to console someone who is going to a funeral. When he got off the phone & I read it to him he understood why I was ROFL.

as far as the debate with Chili's-both. DUH.

Joanna McGuire said...

This was a funny post. Yes to be a kid again and to ask interesting questions at odd hours of the night, gotta love that. Have fun on your trip to disneyland.

Shaunee said...

That is so cute! Kids are the darndest things! Syd was so excited last night and I said, "Why are you so excited? Is it for the Halloween party?" She said, "No mom! It's the Box Top store tomorrow!!" How innocent and sweet they are!

pam mc said...

so tender!

my name is becky kelly said...

very well written.
sign me up for disneyland.