Friday, July 20, 2007

4th of July 5K

On the eve of the 3rd of July my father-in-law (inventor of the running motion) asked me if I was going to run the 5K Freedom Run in Provo the next morning. I had officially walked away from the sport of running after I was manipulated and cheated into running the St. George marathon in 2005. I decided that running was only for Inca indians who need to relay messages to villages in the Andes (I unfortunatley have no Inca blood in me). I soon found out that my brother-in-law Brian was going to run it, so once again, my will was broken and I decided to come out of retirement and run again.
I had a really fun time. I was very impressed with Brian. We had a nice pace and the 3.1 miles went by quickly. I might consider retiring to Peru. Of coarse any race is worth it once they hand you the plastic medallion that was made in China for 0.2 cents; however, for me I would run across the country for the shirt they give you at the end. Somehow, the smell of a brand new shirt with a funky picture and logo on the front and an endless list of sponsors on the back just takes away all of the pain and swelling. You just have to forget that you paid $30.00 for that shirt...well I guess you paid $30.00 for the shirt and the exotic oranges they give you either during or after the race.
At any rate, I had a fun time with Brian and what was really neat was Ken, my father-in-law, placed first in his age! He was flying. It must be the short shorts.





Garrett and Brian finishing with a swift stride.












Garrett, Brian, and Ken enjoying victory.

1 comment:

Thayerclan said...

Next race in line Moab half marathon!!!!
baby back baby back baby back
chili's baby back ribs, I want my chili's baby back ribs.....